peanut butter oatmeal chocolate squares.

So Winnipeg is hot.  Like really, really, really hot.  Like I contemplated standing in the flower cooler the other day when the air conditioning wouldn't kick in.  So hot, in fact that even I didn't want to turn on the oven, and I'm always cold.  And always up for baking.   But I still really wanted some kind of treat.  How are you supposed to make it through the week without something sweet and delicious?!  Luckily, I discovered this no-bake recipe.

When I worked at Second Cup a few summers ago we had these peanut butter oat squares with chocolate on top.  They were awesome.  And when I went searching for a similar recipe not only did I find a lovely tasting one, but also one that only involves a stove element.  Way less hot than an oven.  And cooking is not baking.  Even if you are cooking sugar.  So there.  No bake.

I love peanut butter and chocolate together, and adding the oats cuts the richness and sweetness and adds a nice texture.  And allows me to pretend they are kind of healthy.
Peanut butter oatmeal chocolate squares. adapted from gingerbread bagels.
3/4 C. butter.
1/3 C. brown sugar.
3C. quick rolled oats.
1 C. semi sweet chocolate chips.
2/3 C. smooth peanut butter.

in a small saucepan over medium heat melt the sugar and butter together.  add rolled oats and cook on medium-low for four minutes.  while oats are cooking melt chocolate chips and peanut butter together in another small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
grease a 9" square baking pan and press in 3/4 of the oat mixture.  pour in chocolate mixture, spreading evenly with a spatula.  lastly, crumble remaining oats over the chocolate and refrigerate for three hours.  cut into 16 squares, they're pretty small but trust me, these are rich!

Have a happy week! xo, T.

1 comment:

  1. yummm. i know what you mean, about inserting oats into recipes and having them automatically seem healthier.

    lemme know when you wanna beet-cake it up! or just take pretty photos.

    ReplyDelete